[Lingtyp] spectrograms in linguistic description and for language comparison

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Fri Dec 2 15:16:42 UTC 2022

Dear Jürgen,

to mitigate a bit your pessimist opinion of the methodological situation
of our discipline, let me mention, as a contribution to the discussion
you are requiring, my web page
https://www.christianlehmann.eu/ling/ling_meth/ling_description/representations/?open=example.inc
which advocates a distinction between

 1. a probatory example (which is data used as scientific evidence)
 2. and an illustrative example (or pedagogical example, which is only
    meant to render a descriptive statement more concrete and, thus, to
    help understanding).

Methodological standards for these two kinds of examples are completely
different. On #1, I may recommend:

Lehmann, Christian 2004, “Data in linguistics.” /The Linguistic Review/
21(3/4):275-310.
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249931781_Data_in_linguistics>

Best,
Christian