[Lingtyp] R: Non-present lexemes

Tom Koss Tom.Koss at uantwerpen.be
Wed Dec 7 15:39:22 UTC 2022

Dear Björn,

  1.
That is a very good point. Even though I would, tentatively and as someone who doesn't know very much about pragmatics, suggest that there might be a difference between "true" sequentiality, marking sequence of events in real time, and "discursive" sequentiality, used to "link up a verbal (re)action with what has been the topic of the verbal exchange", as you put it.

  2.  The reason I mentioned the Macedonian aorist as being able to refer to both past and future was the following passage from Ricardo's exchange with his student: "when [the aorist is] used with a future meaning, it generally has the implication of something being 'imminent', like it is a guaranteed and unavoidable event (or a strong promise or threat)".
As for Russian, I didn't want to say that the present perfective could have a past interpretation. What I had in mind was the Russian perfective as such, irrespective of tense marking, because it typically has past-time reference with past tense morphology and future-time reference with present tense morphology. The fact that the distinction between past and future reference is conditioned by additional tense marking does not contradict my definition of non-present items - in my initial inquiry, I explicitly said that the choice between past and future interpretations may be conditioned by grammatical context (which, I strongly assume, is also the case for most temporal adverbs mentioned in this thread). Does that make sense?

Best,
Tom