[Lingtyp] Lingtyp mails classified as spams?

Juergen Bohnemeyer jb77 at buffalo.edu
Sun Dec 11 17:43:54 UTC 2022

Dear all – I imagine everybody is already aware of this, since I’m, like, the least tech-savvy linguist I know. But just in case, here it is:

Many mail clients seem to have spam filters with defaults that categorize anything that comes from a listserv as junk. This appears to be the case with both Apple Mail and Outlook, for example (or maybe it’s a default of the U at Buffalo mail server).

If this is happening to you, there should be a setting somewhere where you can invoke a safe domain exception. So for example, I entered “linguistlist.org” in my safe domains list, and that has taken care of LingTyp messages going to spam/junk.

(Ridiculously, I actually also had to enter “buffalo.edu” as a safe domain. My own messages to UB listservs were getting junk-labeled 😡)

(Incidentally, it took me a while to figure out that I could only make these setting changes online, not in the local app on my computer. That too might be a local quirk of the UB system, but one which is very likely replicated elsewhere.)

Best -- Juergen

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu<mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)