[Lingtyp] Someone whose father ...

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Wed Feb 16 10:43:22 UTC 2022

I think Simone was using external possession here :) Perhaps "Someone
who (has) lost a child"?

I recently learned that in German the adjective 'verwaist' ('orphaned')
is used in the sense of 'having lost a child'. So "verwaiste Mutter" is
a mum who lost a child, same for "verwaister Vater". I don't think that
there is a single word though.

Volker