[Lingtyp] Someone whose father ...

Pier Marco Bertinetto piermarco.bertinetto at sns.it
Wed Feb 16 21:46:45 UTC 2022

Dear Raffaele,
looking at the issue from the other side (i.e., a child who lost her/his
parents), you might consider this rather odd, idiosyncratic lexicalization
of Wayana [way, Cariban]:
*pikuku-tpë* (lit. child-RETROSPECTIVE) = ‘orphan’ (Camargo 2008, ex. 26).

Camargo, Eliane. 2008. Operadores aspectuais de estado marcando o nome en
wayana
(caribe). LIAMES 8. 85–104. [Aspectual operators of state marking the noun
in Wayana].

Ciao
Pier Marco

Il giorno mer 16 feb 2022 alle ore 11:28 Raffaele Simone <
rsimone at os.uniroma3.it> ha scritto:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> words like *widower *and *orphan *imply a complex web of relationships.
> An orphan is someone whose father or mother has died; a widower is someone
> whose wife or husband has died.
>
> Do you know any language in which there are words that mean "someone to
> whom a child has died", "someone to whom a brother or sister has died" etc.?
>
> Thanks,
>
> R Simone
>
> --
> ===============
> Emeritus Professor, Università Roma Tre
> Hon C Lund University
> Membre de l'Académie Royale de Belgique
> Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres de France
> Accademico della Crusca

             ------             professore emerito
            ///////          Scuola Normale Superiore
           -------	       p.za dei Cavalieri 7
          ///////    	         I-56126 PISA
         -------              phone: +39 050 509111
        ///////
       -------                        HOME
      ///////                   via Matteotti  197
     -------                   I-55049 Viareggio LU
    ///////                   phone:  +39 0584 652417
   -------                    cell.:  +39 368 3830251
       editor of "Italian Journal of Linguistics"
  webpage <https://www.sns.it/it/bertinetto-pier-marco>
"Laboratorio di Linguistica" <http://linguistica.sns.it>