[Lingtyp] Someone whose father ...

Nicholas Evans nicholas.evans at anu.edu.au
Thu Feb 17 10:24:47 UTC 2022

Hi Raffaele,
There are many indications that Australian languages privilege talking about kinship, and have particularly rich and complex semantic structures, including trirelational terms ('the one who is your mother and my daughter, you being my granddaughter') in many cases as well. See Murray Garde's 2013 book 'Culture, interaction and perrson reference'.
As a first attempt at theorising how one could account for this impact of cultural selection, I attach an article I wrote in 2003. But at the time that was rather programmatic. More recently, with Danielle Barth and other colleagues, we have been looking at 'parallax corpora' to see whether we can find differences across speech communities about how often reference is formulated in terms of kinship – see the second attached article (section §4.4). There are many many references to 'kintax' (a bit misleading since it's also morphology) in the Australianist literature – some can be found in the reference lists for these 2 articles
Best Nick

Nicholas (Nick) Evans

Director, CoEDL (ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language)

Coombs Building, Fellows Road
CHL, CAP, Australian National University

nicholas.evans at anu.edu.au

I acknowledge the Ngunnawal people as custodians of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to their elders, past and present. Their custodianship has never been ceded.