[Lingtyp] Transcribing interjections

Eline Visser eelienu at protonmail.com
Tue Feb 22 08:28:29 UTC 2022

Hi,

I'd like to get in contact with fieldworkers who have annotated or are currently annotating their language corpus for interjections. I'm specifically interested in the following issues:

- How did you transcribe interjections technically? For example, did you use a separate tier in ELAN, did you use FLEx?
- How did you go about pairing forms and functions? There are many ways to pronounce something like 'eh' or 'hmm'. How fast could you adopt a normalised spelling? (I.e. establish which variants are actually contrastive and which are not.)
- How easy/problematic was it for you to pair forms to functions?

I'm in the process of doing this for a part of my Kalamang corpus, and these are some of the issues I have encountered so far, so I'd like to exchange thoughts.

You can contact me directly, or reply to the list, whatever you prefer.

Eline