[Lingtyp] Approximative numerals with emotive content

Liina Lindström liina.lindstrom at ut.ee
Tue Feb 22 16:04:35 UTC 2022

Dear all,
Estonian has a suffix -kond, which can be attached to some numerals, such as 'ten', 'hundred', 'thousand':

Seal oli kümmekond / sadakond / tuhatkond inimest.
there be.pst.3sg ten+kond / hundred+kond / thousand+kond person.prt
'There were about ten / about hundred / about thousand people.'

-kond comes from the word *kunta; in present-day Estonian in occurs only as a suffix  and is used in words like perekond 'family' or teaduskond 'faculty' and has a meaning of 'group'.

Best wishes,
Liina

________________________________
Saatja: Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org> Denys T. <denys.teptiuk at gmail.com> nimel
Saadetud: teisipäev, 22. veebruar 2022 16:42
Adressaat: Amanda Kann <amanda.kann at su.se>
Koopia: lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org <lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>
Teema: Re: [Lingtyp] Approximative numerals with emotive content

Dear Amanda,

Colloquial Russian has something similar, namely 100500 stopjatsot, stopicot (colloq.) ‘one hundred five hundred’ pro ‘one hundred thousand five hundred’. 100500 is usually used in mocking contexts to express large amounts. Here’s a random example from the internet [probably conveying the speaker’s annoyance]:

Kak obyčno nado sdelat’ stopjatsot fotok, čtoby polučilas’ odna!
how usually need make.inf hundred.five.hundred photo.gen.pl in.order succeed.prs.3sg one
‘As usual, one has to make 100500 photos to get a good one!’

Best,
Denys