[Lingtyp] Locative-comitative homophony

Alexandre Arkhipov sarkipo at yandex.ru
Wed Feb 23 10:06:12 UTC 2022

Dear Yi-Yang,

I would suggest a correction: I think Michael meant (and I second that
completely) that *inclusory* should not be equated with *comitative*
(accompaniment), this is indeed a separate function. In many languages
that do have inclusory constructions, they use the same marker as
comitative, but there are various alternatives as well (e.g.
juxtaposition, coordination or dedicated marking). See my paper
(Arkhipov 2009) for some discussion and references.

So what you have is probably locative-inclusory syncretism and not
locative-comitative.

But this does not mean that inclusory comes first -- especially given
the wide range of locative "flavours" that your markers cover, I would
rather expect the inclusory function to have developed from (some)
locative, but that's just a guess. A local typology would be indeed
fairly interesting!

Arkhipov, Alexander. 2009. Comitative as a cross-linguistically valid
category. In: P. Epps, A. Arkhipov (eds.) New Challenges in Typology 2:
Transcending the Borders and Refining the Distinctions.
(available on academia.edu:
https://www.academia.edu/15009713/_2009_Comitative_as_a_cross_linguistically_valid_category)

All best,
Alexandre