[Lingtyp] Negation marks adverbial clauses

Alexander Coupe ARCoupe at ntu.edu.sg
Wed Jan 12 02:00:47 UTC 2022

Dear Mohammad,

I briefly describe something like this in the Tibeto-Burman language Mongsen Ao, which lacks a lexical exponent for temporal ‘before’ and instead uses a negated converb construction to express an equivalent meaning in a non-finite clause. While the resulting meaning is also concerned with encoding a time relationship between the dependent and matrix clause events (i.e., before X happens, Y happens), it diverges somewhat from that of your examples. However, the structure is very similar. See Section 11.4.5: https://www.academia.edu/1317662/A_Grammar_of_Mongsen_Ao

I would also be interested to know how widespread this pattern might be.

Best regards,
Alec
--
Assoc. Prof. Alexander R. Coupe, Ph.D. | School of Humanities | Nanyang Technological University
03-56, SHHK Building