[Lingtyp] Negation marks adverbial clauses

G. Khan gk101 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 09:39:08 UTC 2022

Dear Mohammad,
There are direct parallels to these Iranian constructions in Neo-Aramaic, e.g.

ʾé-+dān  léla  +vàra,|  ɟə̀xcəla.|

that-time  neg.cop.3fs  enter.prog.  laugh.prog.3fs

‘As soon as she enters, she laughs.’

See, Khan, Geoffrey. The Neo-Aramaic Dialect of the Assyrian Christians of Urmi. 4 vols. Studies in Semitic Languages and Linguistics 86. Leiden-Boston: Brill, 2016. vol. 2, p.499

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Khan
University of Cambridge
Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
Sidgwick Avenue
Cambridge CB3 9DA, UK