[Lingtyp] Negation marks adverbial clauses

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Wed Jan 12 11:30:37 UTC 2022

There exists a large literature on non-negative NEG marks  of the type
exemplified by Françoise Rose  :  *avant qu’elle n’arrive, ….* It is the
so-called 'expletive (or vacuous) negation' we find in many languages:  *Je
suis parti avant qu’il ne soit arrivé ,* i.e at the moment of my departure
he was *not ye*t arrived. But the meaning of  *Je suis parti avant
*qu’il*  soit
arrivé *would be the same . Along with the important book by Dobrushina
(see mail of Tanaku Tsunoda) you may consider  *A Twofold Classification of
Expletive Negation* by Matteo Greco, Conference paper, Aug. 2019 at
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339285297. See also P. Ramat , *La
comparazione negativa*, «Archivio Glottologico Italiano»  87/2002: 223-229.

Regards,

Prof. Dr. Paolo Ramat
Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Socio corrispondente
'Academia Europaea'
'Societas Linguistica Europaea', Honorary Member
Università di Pavia (retired)
Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia) (retired)

piazzetta Arduino 11 - I 27100 Pavia
##39 0382 27027
347 044 98 44

Mail