[Lingtyp] languages lacking a verb for 'give'

Mira Ariel mariel at tauex.tau.ac.il
Thu Jan 27 08:18:18 UTC 2022

Hi,

Gafter et al 2019 discuss the current grammaticization of Hebrew 'bring' into a 'give' meaning, and DuBois and Ariel discuss the use of mostly 'put' verbs in Biblical Hebrew and in Sakapultek Mayan for the same purpose (this one is a secret festschrift I'm happy to share if you write me personally). Neither papers discuss double-clause constructions.

How does ‘bring’ (not) change to ‘give'? Folia Linguistica 53: 2. 443-478. (Roey Gafter, Scott Spicer and Mira Ariel)

Best,
Mira Ariel