[Lingtyp] languages lacking a verb for 'give'

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Thu Jan 27 09:55:45 UTC 2022

A marginal note: already Ch. Bally, *Linguist. franç. et linguist. génér.
(§ 185) *mentioned verbs as* louer  *'to rent out, to lend' and 'to hire'
or *hôte '*host' and 'guest'. Kronasser 1952 spoke for such cases of an
'ungegliederte Situationsverstellung' that can even be reconstructed via
comparison between strictly comparable languages: see Gk.  baínō  'I go'
vs. Lat*. ueni*ō ' 'I come'. Similarly, you find Germ. *geben *"to give" vs.
OIr.* gaibim *'I take'. Such an originally undivided meaning  can be found
in many languages, especially with verbs originally denoting 'exchange'.

Many years ago (1972) I dealt with this point in an article published in
"Studi Germanici" 10, p. 43-79 (see also "Indogerm. Forsch."76/1971:
174-202).
Cheers,
Paolo

Prof. Dr. Paolo Ramat
Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Socio corrispondente
'Academia Europaea'
'Societas Linguistica Europaea', Honorary Member

piazzetta Arduino 11 - I 27100 Pavia
##39 0382 27027
347 044 98 44