[Lingtyp] languages lacking a verb for 'give'

Stefan Schnell wulusduru at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:42:14 UTC 2022

Dear all,

A further case that may be of interest here (though it does not exactly
match what Matthews‘ colleague is looking for) comes from the Oceanic
language Vera’a: there is a single “give-verb” *le* which is the only verb
found in sentences expressing GIVE events. Yet, it is compatible with
different constructional frames and a broader range of senses:

a.       SBJ(agent/recipient) *le *OBJ(theme)
                         ‘take, obtain’

b.       SBJ(agent) *le-*DIR(path) OBJ(theme)
                   ‘move (tr), shift’, ‘bring, take’

c.       SBJ(agent) *le*(-DIR(path)) OBJ(theme) OBL(recipient or goal):
‘give’, ‘bring, take’

There is no further sentence involved, hence no case of ‘I *pushed over*
the book and he took it’ or the like, yet not a prototypical “give” type
verb either.

Brief discussion can be found in the following:

Schnell, S. 2012. Referential hierarchies in three-participant
constructions in Vera’a. *Linguistic Discovery *10.3, 125-147.
10.1349/PS1.1537-0852.A.419 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1349/PS1.1537-0852.A.419>
(Section 3.2 (pp 130-1))

Schnell, S. to appear. Caused accompanied motion constructions in Vera’a.
In: A. Margetts, S. Riesberg, B. Hellwig (Eds.), *Caused accompanied
motion. Bringing and taking events in cross-linguistic perspective. *John
Benjamins. [Section 3.2 (pp 251-2); chapter preprint on RG]

This entire book may be of interest here.

Cheers,

Stefan