[Lingtyp] Phonological differences of alienable vs. inalienable possession

Anvita Abbi anvitaabbi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 22:43:28 UTC 2022

Dear Marie-Luise,
The Great Andamanese language makes a distinction between alienable and
inalienable on the one hand and within that inanimate and animate
distinction. Thus, a body part is inalienable but in case it is a cut-up
part of an animal the possessive marker is prefixed with the phoneme /t/.
For example, *ra er=cho *'pig's head' but *ra t-er=cho *'pig's head
(cut-up). For details, you may look up my paper in *Studies in Language *2011
'Body division in Great Andamanese*'. 739-92. *You may also
lookup by Anvita Abbi *A Grammar of the Great Andamanese Language. An
Ethnolinguistic Study.* 2013. Brill.
Hope this helps
Anvita Abbi