[Lingtyp] Phonological differences of alienable vs. inalienable possession

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 08:52:17 UTC 2022

Dear Marie-Luise,
In many southern Italian 'dialects' and in Romanian the possessive for inalienables is an enclitic marker derived from the same etymological source as the alienable possessive e.g. Neapolitan patemo 'my father' vs o cane mio 'my dog' - literally 'the dog my', where both mio and mo are reflexes, respectively tonic and atonic, of Latin meu(m). There is a brief discussion with references on pp. 755-6 of my chapter 'Determination and quantification' in Andreas Dufter & Elisabeth Stark (eds) Manual of Romance Morphosyntax and Syntax, De Gruyter, 2017.
Best
Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA MAE
Professor Emeritus of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Linguistics & English Language
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester