[Lingtyp] Frequency of (im)perfective marking

Juergen Bohnemeyer jb77 at buffalo.edu
Mon Jul 11 14:40:25 UTC 2022

Dear Eline — Bohnemeyer & Swift (2004) discuss default uses of viewpoint aspects crosslinguistically from a pragmatic perspective. While our paper is not itself corpus-based, we do briefly consider the older acquisition literature, which examined both kids’ production frequencies and their input frequencies. A more recent detailed corpus study of aspect in Russian is Janda et al. (2013).

HTH! — Juergen

Bohnemeyer, J., & M. Swift. (2004). Event realization and default aspect. Linguistics and Philosophy 27(3): 263-296.

Janda, L., A. Endresen, J. Kuznetsova, O. Lyashevskaya, A. Makarova, T. Nesset, & S. Sokolova. Why Russian aspectual prefixes aren’t empty: Prefixes as verb classifiers. Bloomington, IN: Slavica Publishers.