[Lingtyp] Frequency of (im)perfective marking

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Mon Jul 11 18:08:53 UTC 2022

As far as I know, the first work to discuss Russian aspect frequencies
in a general-theoretical context is the following paper by Fenk-Oczlon,
who argues for a frequency-based (rather than iconicity-based)
explanation of coding asymmetries:

Fenk-Oczlon, Gertraud. 1990. Ikonismus versus Ökonomieprinzip: Am
Beispiel russischer Aspekt-und Kasusbildungen. /Papiere zur Linguistik/
42(1). 49–69. http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/gfenk/ikon_gesamt.pdf

In his monograph /Language universals/, Greenberg (1966: 49) had
discussed the frequencies of perfective/imperfective aspect (again with
reference to Russian), but without drawing conclusions.

What's great about Fenk-Oczlon is that she points out that different
types of verbs have different propensities to occur in perfective or
imperfective aspect, thus foreshadowing Bohnemeyer & Swift (2004).

Best,
Martin

Am 11.07.22 um 16:40 schrieb Juergen Bohnemeyer:
> Dear Eline — Bohnemeyer & Swift (2004) discuss default uses of
> viewpoint aspects crosslinguistically from a pragmatic perspective.
> While our paper is not itself corpus-based, we do briefly consider the
> older acquisition literature, which examined both kids’ production
> frequencies and their input frequencies. A more recent detailed corpus
> study of aspect in Russian is Janda et al. (2013).
>
> HTH! — Juergen
>
> Bohnemeyer, J., & M. Swift. (2004). Event realization and default
> aspect. /Linguistics and Philosophy/ 27(3): 263-296.
>
> Janda, L., A. Endresen, J. Kuznetsova, O. Lyashevskaya, A. Makarova,
> T. Nesset, & S. Sokolova. /Why Russian aspectual prefixes aren’t
> empty: Prefixes as verb classifiers/. Bloomington, IN: Slavica
> Publishers.
>

>> On Jul 11, 2022, at 8:08 AM, Eline Visser <eelienu at protonmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Could anyone point me to a paper that says something about the
>> frequency of perfective vs imperfective marking in languages that
>> mark both? I wonder if any of the aspects tends to be the default aspect.
>>
>> Eline

> Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
> Professor, Department of Linguistics
> University at Buffalo
>
> Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
> Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
> Phone: (716) 645 0127
> Fax: (716) 645 3825
> Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu <mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
> Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/
>
> Office hours Tu/Th 2:30-3:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID
> 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)
>
> There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
> (Leonard Cohen)

Martin Haspelmath
Deutscher Platz 6
D-04103 Leipzig