[Lingtyp] motion verbs

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:56:04 UTC 2022

I think that any definition of a motion verb should take into account the
concept of *associated motion*, about which a collective book edited by
Harold Koch and Antoine Guillaume was published last year.  A. Guillaume's
(2016) definition of AM is the following: "An AM marker is a grammatical
morpheme that is associated with the verb and that has among its possible
functions the coding of translational motion." The notion of *translational
motion* seems to me useful to define motion verbs too (as opposed to motion
involving part of the body, for instance).

In addition, a non-motion verb taking an associated motion marker is turned
into a motion verb, so that languages with grammaticalized AM have an open
class of motion verbs.

Reference
Guillaume, Antoine 2016 Associated motion in South America: Typological and
areal perspectives. Linguistic Typology, De Gruyter, 2016, 20 (1),
⟨10.1515/lingty-2016-0003⟩. ⟨halshs-01918336⟩
Guillaume, Antoine and Harold Koch 2021. Associated Motion. Berlin: Mouton
de Gruyter.

Le lun. 6 juin 2022 à 16:36, Juergen Bohnemeyer <jb77 at buffalo.edu> a écrit :

> Dear Sergey — Interesting question! I don’t think there’s anything in the
> grammar of most languages that corresponds to or expresses the concept of
> ‘motion.’
>
> The various subclasses of motion verbs can be defined on semantic grounds:
> path verbs entail change of location; manner verbs describe activities of
> agents/effectors that can cause change of location or describe change of
> orientation in those same agents/effectors; transport verbs are either
> causative path verbs or locate an object on a carrier (‘carry on back’,
> ‘carry on hip’, etc.), and so on.
>
> But there’s no overarching definition that would encompass all those
> subclasses, but no events that don’t involve motion. So a definition such
> as ’The class of all verbs of a given language that is used to describe
> exclusively motion events’ can at best be met disjunctively and thus
> doesn’t define the most “natural” concept.
>
> The supposedly primitive concept ‘motion’ apparently just isn’t.
>
> An important reference on the typology of motion verbs is Wälchli (2009).
>
> HTH! — Juergen
>
> Wälchli, B. (2009). Motion events in parallel texts: A study in
> primary-data typology. Habilitation thesis, University of Bern.
>

> > On Jun 6, 2022, at 9:50 AM, Sergey Loesov <sergeloesov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear colleagues,
> >
> >  How do we properly define the concept “motion verb”? I am especially
> interested in the telic variety, both transitive and intransitive ones.
> >
> >  Best wishes,
> >

> > Sergey

> Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
> Professor, Department of Linguistics
> University at Buffalo
>
> Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
> Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
> Phone: (716) 645 0127
> Fax: (716) 645 3825
> Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu
> Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/
>
> Office hours Tu/Th 2:30-3:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585
> 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)
>
> There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
> (Leonard Cohen)

Guillaume Jacques

Directeur de recherches
CNRS (CRLAO) - EPHE- INALCO