[Lingtyp] motion verbs

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 06:29:52 UTC 2022

> As an aside, I have been wondering about whether manner verbs like "run"
> (for example) are truly motion verbs, in the sense that they necessarily
> predicate fact-of-motion. If we think of exercising on a treadmill, we can
> say "I ran in place without moving", where it seems like "run" refers to a
> bodily motion (moving legs, moving arms, bouncing up and down, etc.) but
> not strictly translational motion of the person from one place to another.
> Similarly, birds can "fly" into the wind without changing position. So in
> that sense, I would also question what exactly it means to be a "motion
> verb".

Good point ! The example with birds stopping in the wind is particularly
appropriate; we could also think of hummingbirds, or insects that are able
to do static flight to collect flower nectar.

>  would be typically used to reinforce motion from one place to another,
> i.e. "run go (to) store" rather than just "run (to) store".

In cases like this however, the use of "go" might be rather to express
deixis (run go vs. run come, as in  Chinese 跑去 vs. 跑来), since "run" is
generally deixis-neutral.

--
Guillaume Jacques

Directeur de recherches