[Lingtyp] motion verbs

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:37:50 UTC 2022

Dear Sergey, Guillaume and everyone,

Guillaume, thank you for bringing up Associated Motion in response to
Juergen's question about languages having a grammatical category for
motion. What seems to be at the core of that category is "fact-of-motion"
(in the sense of "translational motion" as you said). In other words, AM is
distinct from (pure) directionals in that it predicates motion, whereas
directionals describe the path of a motion verb that already lexically
predicates fact-of-motion. These two categories do overlap in some (but not
all languages), and that is surveyed in 325 languages my chapter in the
recent AM volume and also discussed in many other chapters in the book.

Sergey, regarding Akkadian in particular, it is my understanding that the
ventive is primarily a (pure) directional morpheme, with limited, if any,
uses as AM. A recent comprehensive overview is provided in this thesis,
including maybe most helpfully a very thorough literature review:
Fix, S. A. 2021. The Semantics of a Semitic Ventive in Cognitive
Perspective: Akkadian Ventive Construals Based on Lexical Verb Types.
Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America.
http://hdl.handle.net/1961/cuislandora:223941

(As an aside, it is fascinating that the first observations related to this
were made by the Akkadians themselves, as the first early linguists to
recognize such a category in comparison to Sumerian. See p.272, footnote
240 of my dissertation here: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5546425)

It should be noted that the term "ventive" (like it's
"away-from-deictic-center" counterpart "itive", and other variants of each)
is ambiguous in traditional usage, referring to either (pure) directional
or AM morphemes. Thus "ventive" refers to the directional
("toward-deictic-center") component of the meaning, but may either add
fact-of-motion to non-motion verbs, or may be purely directional in
combination with motion verbs. This varies by language.

When writing my chapter in the recent AM volume, I considered the possible
relationship between AM and fact-of-motion (and between AM and
directionals), with implications for the idea that there might be a
category of "motion" verbs in a language. This is briefly discussed on
p.68, but unfortunately available descriptions of the languages did not
make it entirely clear what happens with AM combines with non-motion verbs,
so I wasn't able to establish a full typology.

Ross, Daniel. 2021. A cross-linguistic survey of Associated Motion and
Directionals. In Antoine Guillaume & Harold Koch (eds.), *Associated Motion*,
31–86. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton. https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110692099-002

In principle, there should be a three-way typology of possible
relationships between AM and motion verbs:
1. AM morphemes function as AM when combined with motion verbs, so a
ventive would mean "come and EAT" or "come and run" (i.e. arrive from
elsewhere, then run here, such as around a field).
2. AM morphemes function as directionals when combined with motion verbs,
so a ventive might mean either "come and EAT" (non-motion verb) or "RUN
toward the deictic center" (motion verb).
3. AM morphemes cannot combine with motion verbs at all, so that there is
no ventive form for "run" at all, or there may be a separate set of
directional morphemes in the language, distinct from and not overlapping
with AM.

Type 1 and Type 2 are well-attested (or at least there is overlap of this
type in some languages). Type 3 is harder to identify with confidence
(based on available descriptions), but it is certainly my impression that
some languages tend to avoid AM forms of motion verbs (perhaps because
meanings like "come and run" are unusual, so they would be infrequent, if
not ungrammatical).

Thus if this typology is correct, languages with consistent Type 2 or Type
3 systems would suggest some kind of lexical distinction between motion
verbs and non-motion verbs. I would like to investigate this possible
distinction more, but I think it would require additional documentation of
languages to see whether such a distinction is fully consistent in any
language or just a tendency. But that is as close as I can imagine to a
grammatical contrast between motion and non-motion verbs.

As an aside, I have been wondering about whether manner verbs like "run"
(for example) are truly motion verbs, in the sense that they necessarily
predicate fact-of-motion. If we think of exercising on a treadmill, we can
say "I ran in place without moving", where it seems like "run" refers to a
bodily motion (moving legs, moving arms, bouncing up and down, etc.) but
not strictly translational motion of the person from one place to another.
Similarly, birds can "fly" into the wind without changing position. So in
that sense, I would also question what exactly it means to be a "motion
verb". Of course verbs like "run" and "fly" will readily combine with other
components of motion events, at least in many languages, although I believe
there are some languages where a directional morpheme or serial verb
construction, etc., would be typically used to reinforce motion from one
place to another, i.e. "run go (to) store" rather than just "run (to)
store". (That kind of pattern seems typical of some creoles, for example,
but it's hard to be certain about precisely the fact-of-motion status of
"run" without specific investigation.) In short, the relationship between
AM and directional morphemes is complicated, and they may overlap in
different ways depending on what we assume regarding predication of
fact-of-motion for different "motion" verbs.

I hope that's helpful!
Daniel

>>> https://scholar.google.fr/citations?user=1XCp2-oAAAAJ&hl=fr