[Lingtyp] Items that make frequency/rate/tempo modifiers from nouns

Elizabeth Coppock eecoppock at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 04:09:02 UTC 2022

Dear all,

Many thanks to those who responded to my query. Here is a belated and messy
summary of what I have been able to dig up so far:

language form references notes
Russian po Haspelmath (1997) p. 50
distributive preposition
Swedish om Haspelmath (1997) p. 50
Polish na Haspelmath (1997) p. 50
Tagalog kung Haspelmath (1997) p. 50 lit. 'when'
Udmurt byde Haspelmath (1997) p. 50
distributive preposition
Hixkaryana rye Haspelmath (1997) p. 50
gloss 'uniformly the same'
Hixkaryana yohI Haspelmath (1997) p. 50 gloss 'regularly'
Turkish -leyin Haspelmath (1997) p. 51
special suffix 'regularly'
Abkhaz es- Haspelmath (1997) p. 51, Hewitt 1979:146 (cited in
Haspelmath) special
prefix
Abkhaz -la Haspelmath (1997) p. 51, Hewitt 1979:146 (cited in Haspelmath)
Instrumental case
Greenlandic Eskimo -kkut Haspelmath (1997) p. 51, Fortescue 1984:240 (cited
in Haspelmath)
Presecutive case
Cape Verdean reduplicated N Baptista (2002)
<https://benjamins.com/catalog/la.54> p. 43
e.g. bárku-bárku 'boat by boat'
Jamsay (Dogon) reduplicated N Heath (2008)
<https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/9783110207224/html?lang=en>
p. 322
e.g. wood-inst wood-inst 'by kind of wood'
Neo-Aramaic kut Khan (2008) <https://brill.com/view/title/17807>p. 884 glossed
"every"
Wolof N-oo-N Keenan & Paperno (2012)
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-2681-9>
Dan SwEEtaa (South Mande) N-oo-N Keenan & Paperno (2012)
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-2681-9>
Keenan & Paperno (2012)
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-2681-9>
Mandinka N-oo-N
Nungo N-no N-no Keenan & Paperno (2012)
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-2681-9>
e.g. yara-no yara-no 'year after year'
Estonian -ti Ylikoski (2019)
<http://jultika.oulu.fi/files/nbnfi-fe202002125279.pdf>
dwarf case http://jultika.oulu.fi/files/nbnfi-fe202002125279.pdf
Finnish -ttain/-ttäin Ylikoski (2019)
Thank you Johanna Laakso
Russian ezhe-
>From Anton Kukhto: "[I]t attaches to words denoting time periods, the
derivative meaning 'every X'. For instance, den' 'day' — ezhednevnyj
'daily' (adj) and ezhednevno (adv); nedelja 'week' — ezhenedel'nyj 'weekly'
(adj) and ezhenedel'no (adv), etc. I'm hesitating to say it attaches to
nouns because it seems to require the adjectivising suffix -n (or perhaps,
whatever adjectivising suffix the nominal root in question takes, which in
the cases that come to mind happens to be -n), ie nedel-ja 'week' —
nedel'-n-yj 'week-long, pertaining to week' — ezhe-nedel'-n-yj 'weekly'."
Bardi reduplicated N Bowern (2012)
<https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/9783110278187/html?lang=en>
bardagardag 'tree by tree'
Malagasy reduplicated N Keenan & Paperno (2012)
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-2681-9>
Keenan & Paperno (2012)
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-94-007-2681-9>
Coptic qpe (sp??) Cerny (2012)
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/coptic-etymological-dictionary/9CBBF0535DCC7F7C6F73E651BFC7181C>
distributive preposition "per month"

There is much more to do, clearly, but this is progress! Thanks again!

Liz

--
http://eecoppock.info