[Lingtyp] Language without direct speech or reported speech?

Françoise Rose francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr
Thu Jun 16 08:06:53 UTC 2022

Dear Jocelyn,
In the two languages I am working on (Teko and Mojeño Trinitario), there is no indirect speech construction.
If the introductory speech verb is omitted (which is not frequent I would say), then there is no obligatory marking of the insertion of direct speech. But prosody in the oral mode and the overall understanding of the context in written mode don't usually lead to any ambiguity. Also items like second position clitics help parsing sentences.
Best,
Françoise
Rose, Françoise. 2011. Grammaire de l’émérillon teko, une langue tupi-guarani de Guyane française. Langues et Sociétés d’Amérique traditionnelle 10. Louvain: Peeters. P. 351-352