[Lingtyp] Language without direct speech or reported speech?

Adam Schembri A.Schembri at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 08:59:23 UTC 2022

If direct speech is also a type of enactment in both spoken and signed languages, and the multimodal nature of spoken languages has been under-documented in the typological literature, I do wonder how we can make claims about the use of direct speech in all languages.

Hodge, Gabrielle and Cormier, Kearsy. "Reported speech as enactment " Linguistic Typology, vol. 23, no. 1, 2019, pp. 185-196. https://doi.org/10.1515/lingty-2019-0008