[Lingtyp] 'Instead of' clauses

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 21 19:57:12 UTC 2022

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.

I send you this message because I am currently writing a paper on 'instead
of' clauses or substitutive clauses. In this type of construction, of two
alternatively possible events/activities *p *and *q*, *q *happens or is
performed although *p *was rather to be expected (e.g.  'We stayed at home
instead of going for a walk in the snow'; Kortmann 1997: 89).

Cross-linguistically, there are languages in which the dependent clause of
an 'instead of' construction is marked by a connective and it must also
occur with a negative marker . Furthermore, there are languages in which
the 'instead of' meaning is conveyed by a paratactic pattern that must
appear with a negative marker (lit. 'she walked, not ran').  I was
wondering if you know any languages that show a similar pattern for
expressing 'instead of'. I was also wondering if you know any papers that
have analyzed this type of construction.

Another important aspect of 'instead of' clauses that I should mention is
that in various languages of my sample, 'instead of' clauses and 'before'
clauses are encoded by the same clause-linkage pattern.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jesús Olguín Martínez
Home - Jesús Olguín (jesusolguinmartinez.com)
<https://www.jesusolguinmartinez.com/?fbclid=IwAR2len8OjCPh6HfiREXrVK56ZMgLrXDUolQdO1G-cG9z2DDl4XM5ZvueVqs>

Dissertation:
Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2022. *Temporal adverbial clauses in the languages
of the world: Clause-linking strategies*. Ph.D. dissertation, University of
California, Santa Barbara.

Recent publications:
Olguín Martínez, Jesús & Nicholas Lester.  2022. A quantitative analysis of
counterfactual conditionals in the world’s languages. *Italian Journal of
Linguistics 33*. 147-182.
Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2021. ‘As if’ constructions in world-wide
perspective. *Journal Linguistic typology at the crossroads* 1. 2-33.