[Lingtyp] 'Instead of' clauses

tangzhengda tangzhengda at 126.com
Wed Jun 22 03:50:25 UTC 2022

In Chinese, where the postposed dependent clauses are rare, the counterpart of 'instead of p' is encoded as the second coordinant clause in the form of 'er而 - bushi不是 p‘ (lit. but - not.be).   The focal stress is on bushi, instead of p as is in English.

--

唐正大
中国社会科学院语言研究所《中国语文》编辑部

Institute of Linguistics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences,
No.5 Jianguomennei Dajie, Beijing, China; 100732

在 2022-06-22 03:57:12,"Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez" <olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu> 写道:

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.

I send you this message because I am currently writing a paper on 'instead of' clauses or substitutive clauses. In this type of construction, of two alternatively possible events/activities p and q, q happens or is performed although p was rather to be expected (e.g.  'We stayed at home instead of going for a walk in the snow'; Kortmann 1997: 89).

Cross-linguistically, there are languages in which the dependent clause of an 'instead of' construction is marked by a connective and it must also occur with a negative marker . Furthermore, there are languages in which the 'instead of' meaning is conveyed by a paratactic pattern that must appear with a negative marker (lit. 'she walked, not ran').  I was wondering if you know any languages that show a similar pattern for expressing 'instead of'. I was also wondering if you know any papers that have analyzed this type of construction.

Another important aspect of 'instead of' clauses that I should mention is that in various languages of my sample, 'instead of' clauses and 'before' clauses are encoded by the same clause-linkage pattern.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jesús Olguín Martínez
Home - Jesús Olguín (jesusolguinmartinez.com)

Dissertation:
Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2022. Temporal adverbial clauses in the languages of the world: Clause-linking strategies. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Santa Barbara.

Recent publications:
Olguín Martínez, Jesús & Nicholas Lester.  2022. A quantitative analysis of counterfactual conditionals in the world’s languages. Italian Journal of Linguistics 33. 147-182.
Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2021. ‘As if’ constructions in world-wide perspective. Journal Linguistic typology at the crossroads 1. 2-33.