[Lingtyp] types of quantification

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Fri Mar 4 14:24:05 UTC 2022

There are of course various ways in which "quantifier" can be defined
and in which one could set up subgroups.

For general-comparative linguistics, it's probably not so useful to have
a logic-based "(generalized) quantifier" concept where most (or many)
NPs are quantifiers. I think we want to have primarily these two types
of quantifiers:

– adnominal quantifiers (many, all, two, etc.)
– adverbial quantifiers (often, always, twice, etc.)

And if we want to follow (or take into account) earlier authoritative
terminology, then I would take inspiration from these three works:

Gil, David. 2001. Quantifiers. In Haspelmath, Martin & König, Ekkehard &
Oesterreicher, Wulf & Raible, Wolfgang (eds.), /Language typology and
language universals: An international handbook (Volume 2)/, 1275–1294.
Berlin: de Gruyter.
Keenan, Edward L. & Paperno, Denis (eds.). 2012. /Handbook of
quantifiers in natural language/. Dordrecht: Springer.
Paperno, Denis & Keenan, Edward L. (eds.). 2017. /Handbook of
quantifiers in natural language: Volume II/. Cham: Springer.

I find Gil's paper particularly accessible and sensitive to what the
languages around the world do. The handbooks edited by Keenan and
Paperno give rich exemplification, but the terminology of the general
papers is strongly inspired by the logic-based tradition and thus not so
transparent for ordinary working linguists.

Incidentally, I did a Twitter poll last year on whether cardinal
numerals are considered a subtype on quantifiers, and two thirds thought
so: https://twitter.com/haspelmath/status/1429061465332457478

Best,
Martin

Am 04.03.22 um 14:00 schrieb Östen Dahl:

> I think the answer to the question depends on what you want your
> general-comparative linguistic semantics to look like, in particular
> on how much you want it to reflect how quantifiers are grouped in
> individual languages.
>
> Östen

Martin Haspelmath
Deutscher Platz 6