[Lingtyp] types of quantification

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:36:55 UTC 2022

I wonder whether some types of ideophones/mimetics might fall into this
sort of classifier supercategory. In Japanese, for example, bisyllabic
mimetic forms generally have the classification property described by the
first syllable, and the larger spatiotemporal context described by the
second (such as whether normative spatial or temporal boundaries are
respected). Augmentative/diminutive consonantal shifts can tell you whether
the phenomena described are bigger or smaller than the norm (so 'more' or
'less').

Such analyses of ideophonic/mimetic systems are few and far between, so
it's no wonder linguists are generally unaware of them.

Prof. Shoko Hamano's doctoral thesis here:
https://ufdc.ufl.edu/AA00003806/00001/images/0

Jess Tauber