[Lingtyp] terms for days after tomorrow

Riccardo Giomi rgiomi at campus.ul.pt
Sat Mar 19 13:25:54 UTC 2022

Dear Samira,

I cannot cite any in-depth study, and maybe you already know about this,
but just in case: several Southern Italian dialects have terms for at least
up to the third day after tomorrow. A few examples from Gerhard Rohlfs'
dialectal dictionary of Calabria can be found here:

http://calabbrisi.blogspot.com/2018/02/domani-e-dopodopomani.html

In his historical grammar of Italian and Italian dialects, Rohlfs also
mentions forms for up to the fifth day after tomorrow from Neapolitan and
Salentino (Apulia).

Best wishes,
Riccardo

Rohlfs, Gerhard. 1972.* Historische Grammatik der italienischen Sprache und
ihrer Mundarten* (3 voll.). Bern: Francke. Originally published as *Grammatica
storica della lingua italiana e dei suoi dialetti*. Turin: Einaudi,
1966-1969.
- Rohlfs, Gerhard. 1996. *Nuovo Dizionario dialettale della Calabria *(5th
ed.). Ravenna: Longo.
-

Alexander Coupe <ARCoupe at ntu.edu.sg> escreveu no dia sábado, 19/03/2022
à(s) 10:15:

> Dear Samira,
>

> Here are a few more references to augment those provided by Guillaume –
> see Sect. 4.2.8 Time words in
> https://www.academia.edu/1317662/A_Grammar_of_Mongsen_Ao for some
> examples encoding 3 days into the future and 3 days or more into the past.
> I don’t know of any specific typological investigations of this, but they
> occur in other branches of TB, so perhaps a perusal of additional TB
> grammars will reveal many more examples.
>

> In Mongsen Ao, they mostly appear to have been formed from fossilized
> compounds involving the lexeme for ‘day’ plus other unidentified morphemes.
> In some examples, tone plays a role in distinguishing different degrees of
> temporal remoteness.
>

> Also see:
>
> Bickel’s chapter in Thurgood Graham & Randy J. LaPolla. 2017. *The
> Sino-Tibetan languages, *2nd edn*. *Routledge: London/New York
>
> Konnerth, Linda. 2020. *A grammar of Karbi.* Mouton de Gruyter:
> Berlin/New York.
>
> Post, Mark. 2007. A grammar of Galo. PhD dissertation, La Trobe University.
>
> Zakaria, Muhammad. 2018. A grammar of Hyow. PhD dissertation, Nanyang
> Technological University
>

> All the best,
>
> Alec
>

> *From: *Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org> on behalf of
> Samira Verhees <jh.verhees at gmail.com>
> *Date: *Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 3:49 PM
> *To: *"lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org" <
> lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>
> *Subject: *[Lingtyp] terms for days after tomorrow
>

> Dear Lingtyp list,
>

> A student of mine is collecting data on lexemes denoting consecutive days
> after tomorrow in East Caucasian (and neighboring) languages, and we were
> wondering if anyone here knows of any typological research that discusses
> the encoding of this concept (or perhaps more broadly systems of naming
> days and their diachronic development), or any language-specific work that
> explores such terms in some detail.
>

> In some East Caucasian languages, there are unique, non-compositional
> terms for the day after tomorrow, the day after the day after tomorrow, for
> up to 6 days after tomorrow. We have been able to find some languages that
> also have a non-compositional term for the day after the day after
> tomorrow, for example, but we can't seem to find anything more elaborate
> than examples on internet fora or short sentences in reference grammars.
>

> Best,
>

> Samira Verhees

Riccardo Giomi, Ph.D.
University of Liège
Département de langues modernes : linguistique, littérature et traduction
Research group *Linguistique contrastive et typologie des langues*
F.R.S.-FNRS Postdoctoral fellow (CR - FC 43095)