[Lingtyp] Non-compositional words for “rock-paper-scissors"

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 15:25:42 UTC 2022

Hi Ian,

Are you aware of the alternative English form?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/roshambo (or "ro sham bo")

Note that the examples so far are all three syllables, so I would suspect
that they are some kind of substitution for the literal/compositional form.
So these are not fully compositional, but they are at least partially
iconic. It seems like a language game in itself, as some kind of code.
Given your previous questions to the list, maybe that's why you're asking:
they may contain some kind of ideophone or ideophone-like pieces.

Daniel