[Lingtyp] Non-compositional words for “rock-paper-scissors"

Tim Bodt tb47 at soas.ac.uk
Mon May 2 16:34:09 UTC 2022

Hi Ian,

While in standard Dutch, Flemish and Frisian this game is commonly known by
its compositional names (cf.
https://taalverhalen.be/minionderzoekje/een-open-hand-een-vuist-en-twee-vingers/),
there was a similar game played in the Dutch East Indies that was called by
the non-compositional name *soeten* ('to* soet*', see the first page on
http://www.indischhistorisch.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Anthonio_kinderspelletjes.pdf).
This name is derived from its Indonesian name *suwit - suit *or *sut *(
https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suit, see also, for example,
https://www.kompasiana.com/widikurniawan/60f979c17aa97822be2a9732/cara-suit-yang-perlahan-punah-semut-gajah-manusia,
also *gamsit*,
https://warisanbudaya.kemdikbud.go.id/?newdetail&detailCatat=7180)*.* It is
known as *pingsut *in Javanese (https://jv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingsut)
and *suten
*in Sundanese (https://su.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suten). Instead of rock, paper
(or leaf) and scissors and the whole hand (this game is literally
translated as *batu, gunting, kertas* or *suwit jepang* 'Japanese *suwit*',
https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batu_gunting_kertas), the game uses elephant,
man and ant and three fingers.

In using animals, I guess it is similar to the Japanese game of *mushi-ken*
(虫拳), which originated in China (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansukumi-ken
).

Best, Tim.