[Lingtyp] Non-compositional words for “rock-paper-scissors"

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 18:02:45 UTC 2022

Yes, that's the definition I'm assuming. "Rock-paper-scissors" describes a
game involving "rocks", "papers" and "scissors" (metaphorically speaking,
as hand shapes).

As we've discussed, this usage is semi-productive, and productivity
requires some degree of compositionality: the parts somehow contribute to
the meaning. It's a specific usage context, and it's metonymy as you noted,
but there's still some degree of internal semantic structure (i.e.
compositionality).

I agree with you that there may be a better term for Ian to use to frame
this, but I understood what he meant, and even in a technical sense there's
some degree of compositionality that is relevant here, at least for the
productive cases. (I don't know if that applies to other languages.)