[Lingtyp] Non-compositional words for “rock-paper-scissors"

Nate Sims nsims at ucsb.edu
Mon May 2 18:04:17 UTC 2022

Hi all,

The Chinese equivalent is 石头-剪刀-布, "rock-scissor-cloth". In Sichuanese
Mandarin, the playground name for this game is [sɨ21.tɕʰɚ45] the first
syllable is 'rock' but the second syllable is not otherwise meaningful (at
least not in my understanding).

So I guess the Sichuanese name for the game would be semi-compositional? I
take compositional here to mean etymologically transparent.

Nate