[Lingtyp] query: 1st syllable deletion

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Nov 2 11:29:50 UTC 2022

Randy,

Thanks for your comment.  The last couple of days I've received a flurry
of very helpful references and pointers concerning the phenomenon in
question, which seem to point to it not being "a simple pragmatic
phenomenon" of the kind you suggest.  Also, with the possible exception
of a reference to German, nobody so far has offered examples of similar
processes in other languages, and indeed, I can't think of anything like
it in the other languages I am familiar with.

Best,

David

--
David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-082113720302