[Lingtyp] query: 1st syllable deletion

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:35:36 UTC 2022

Hi David,
I don’t like the term “prodrop”, as it takes English, which is typologically actually the odd man out, as the norm, and all of the many languages that have not grammaticalised the grammatical mood constructions that require pronouns to be retained in English are seen as aberrant, but for languages that do not have such constructions, e.g. Chinese, the kind of pattern we have been talking about is the norm.

All the best,
Randy