[Lingtyp] Lingtyp Digest, Vol 98, Issue 3

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Fri Nov 4 04:38:04 UTC 2022

Hi all,

We might be moving away from what David was initially interested in, but
because of what Josh wrote, I wanted to share that in Yiddish, non-finite
perfective motion verbs with a directional can also be omitted. I
understand that this is possible in other Germanic languages, but I don't
have any examples (the only ones I ever saw were in German translations of
Yiddish spoken texts).

(a) er  iz arayn-gekumen in hoyz
      he is in.DIR-come      in house
'He entered the house'

(b) er iz arayn in hoyz
'He entered the house'

Talmy gives the example:

(c) bald vi er  iz  aroyf[getrotn[ oyf dem tretar, iz er
arayn[gegangen/gekumen] in der kretschme
     right as he is  on[stepped] on the sidewalk, is he in[gone/come] in
the tavern
'As soon as he [stepped] onto the sidewalk, he [went/came] into the tavern.'

Eitan

Eitan Grossman
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: +972 2 588 3809