[Lingtyp] Lingtyp Digest, Vol 98, Issue 3

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 05:15:46 UTC 2022

If we are talking about the “dropping” (again, a misnomer based on the false assumption that all of the meaning a speaker is attempting to get the hearer to create is supposed to be in the sentence somehow) of things other than the initial elements as well, then we can bring up Japanese, where whole predicates can often be "left out" because they can be understood in the context. There has also been a polarity shift in some cases like the French example where the negative predicate is not produced, but the speaker’s intention is understood as negative:
There are two loanwords from Chinese, zenzen (全然) ‘completely’ and betsuni (別に) ‘other’ that can be used alone in some contexts to mean ’nothing at all’ and ’nothing in particular’.

Randy
——
Professor Randy J. LaPolla(罗仁地), PhD FAHA
Center for Language Sciences
Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
Beijing Normal University at Zhuhai
A302, Muduo Building, #18 Jinfeng Road, Zhuhai City, Guangdong, China

https://randylapolla.info <https://randylapolla.info/>
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6100-6196 <https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6100-6196>

邮编:519000
广东省珠海市唐家湾镇金凤路18号木铎楼A302