[Lingtyp] motion verbs

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 21 19:34:41 UTC 2022

Juergen has listed some of my papers; let me add this one:

Slobin, D. I. (2017). Afterword: Typologies and language use.  In I.
Ibarretxe-Antuñano (Ed.), *Motion and space across languages: Theory and
applications* (pp. 419-445).  Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
>From the abstract: [...] the more we probe linguistic expressions of motion
events, the more we uncover mixed types, indeterminate types, hybrid forms,
and changes in progress. Numerous factors can act to limit or modify the
expression of typological potentials [...] The encoding of Path and Manner
is not carried out independently of a language’s
morphosyntactic and morphophonological characteristics. Data of historical
linguistics, language contact, and translation are beginning to reveal
interactions of factors over time. Suggestive findings demonstrate
diachronic transitions between language types (with examples from Latin and
Romance languages, Slavic languages, Chinese), as well as changes in the
manner verb lexicon over time (English, Italian).

And some additional references:
Verkerk, A. 2013. Scramble, scurry and dash: The correlation between motion
event encoding and manner verb lexicon size in Indo-European. Language
Dynamics and Change, 3, 169–217.
Verkerk, A. 2015. Where do all the motion verbs come from? The speed of
development of manner verbs and path verbs in Indo-European. Diachronica,
32, 69–104.
Yiu, C. Y.-M. 2014. The typology of motion events: An empirical study of
Chinese dialects. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
Lamarre, C. 2007. The linguistic encoding of motion events in Chinese: with
reference to cross-dialectal variation. In Ch. Lamarre, & T. Ohori (Eds.),
Typological studies of the linguistic
          expressions of motion events. Vol. 1: Perspectives from South and
Southeast Asia (3–33). Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press.
Cardini, F. E. 2008. Manner of motion saliency: an inquiry into Italian.
Cognitive Linguistics, 19, 533–570.
Fanego, T. 2012. Motion events in English: The emergence and diachrony of
manner salience from Old English to Late Modern English. Folia Linguistica
Historica, 33, 29–85.
Flecken, M., von Stutterheim, C., & Carroll, M. 2014. Grammatical aspect
influences motion event perception: Findings from a cross-linguistic
non-verbal recognition task. Language
     and Cognition, 6, 45–78.
Iacobini, C., & Masini, F. 2006. The emergence of verb–particle
constructions in Italian: Locative and actional meanings. Morphology, 16:
155–188.
Iacobini, C., & Masini, F. 2007. Verb-particle constructions and prefixed
verbs in Italian: Typology, diachrony and semantics. In G. Booij, L.
Ducceschi, B. Fradin, E. Guevara, A. Ralli, &
     S. Scalise (Eds.), On-line proceedings of the fifth Mediterranean
morphology meeting (157–184). Bologna: Università degli studi di Bologna.

Thanks for all the references and discussion,
Dan

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 8:51 AM Juergen Bohnemeyer <jb77 at buffalo.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>

> This builds and expands on earlier work by Kita (1999).
>

> While that paper looks at path verbs (specifically, at the question how
> much motion information they actually lexicalize), the following works have
> looked at the semantics of manner verbs across languages:
>

> Beavers, J., & A. Koontz-Garboden. (2017). Result verbs, scalar change,
> and the typology of motion verbs . *Language *93: 842-876.
>

> Brown, P. (2000). ‘He descended legs upwards’: Motion and stasis in
> Tzeltal child and adult narratives. In E. V. Clark (ed.), *Proceedings of
> the 30th Child Language Research Forum*. Stanford, CA: CSLI. 67–75.
>

> Hsiao, H.-C. (2009). *Motion Event Descriptions and Manner-of-Motion
> Verbs in Mandarin*. Doctoral dissertation, University at Buffalo.
>

> Slobin, D. I. (2006). What makes manner of motion salient? Explorations in
> linguistic typology, discourse, and cognition. In M. Hickmann & S. Robert
> (eds.), *Space in languages: Linguistic systems and cognitive categories*.
> Amsterdam: Benjamins. 59-81.
>

> Slobin, D. I., I. Ibarretxe-Antuñano, A. Kopecka, & A. Majid. (2014).
> Manners of human gait: A crosslinguistic event-naming study. *Cognitive
> Linguistics* 25(4): 701-741.
>

> And lastly, a couple of post-Talmy works on motion description typology
> more broadly:
>

> Beavers, J., B. Levin, & S. W. Tham. (2010).The typology of motion
> expressions revisited*. **Journal of Linguistics*. 46: 331-377.
>

> Bohnemeyer, J., N. J. Enfield, J. Essegbey, I. Ibarretxe-Antuñano, S.
> Kita, F. Lüpke, & F. K. Ameka. Principles of event segmentation in
> language: The case of motion events. *Language *83(3): 495-532.
>

> Croft, W., J. Bar∂dal, W. Hollmann, V. Sotirova, & C. Taoka. (2010).
> Revising Talmy’s typological classification of complex events. In H. Boas
> (ed.), *Contrastive construction grammar*. Amsterdam: Benjamins. 201-235.
>

> HTH! -- Juergen
>

> Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
> Professor, Department of Linguistics
> University at Buffalo
>
> Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
> Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
> Phone: (716) 645 0127
> Fax: (716) 645 3825
> Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu
> Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/
>
> Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585
> 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)
>
> There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
> (Leonard Cohen)
>
> --
>

> *From: *Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org> on behalf of
> Sergey Loesov <sergeloesov at gmail.com>
> *Date: *Monday, November 21, 2022 at 4:57 AM
> *To: *LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG <lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org
> >
> *Subject: *[Lingtyp] motion verbs
>
> Dear all,
>
> Are you aware of a new generation of reference works on motion verbs,
> younger than the path-breaking studies of Leonard Talmy?

[image: POC | Pocket Opera CompanyPocket Opera Company]

*<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> *

*Dan I. Slobin *

*Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Linguistics*

*University of California, Berkeley*

*email: slobin at berkeley.edu <slobin at berkeley.edu>*

*https://danslobin.academia.edu/ <https://danslobin.academia.edu/>*

*address: 2323 Rose St., Berkeley, CA 94708*

*I acknowledge that the UC-Berkeley campus is on the traditional, *

*ancestral, and unceded land of the Ohlone people. *

*[image: Chochenyo Ohlone - Reviving Lost Languages]*