[Lingtyp] Emergence of word-class systems

Paul Hopper ph1u at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 2 17:08:06 UTC 2023

...and:
On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 10:51 AM Paolo Ramat <paoram at unipv.it> wrote:

> Dear John and All,
> like David, I may add some of my own (old) works to the mix (see attach):
>
> All the best,
> Paolo
>
> Prof. Dr. Paolo Ramat
> Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Socio corrispondente
> 'Academia Europaea'
> 'Societas Linguistica Europaea', Honorary Member
> Università di Pavia (retired)
> Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia) (retired)
>
> piazzetta Arduino 11 - I 27100 Pavia
> ##39 0382 27027
> 347 044 98 44
>

> Il giorno dom 2 apr 2023 alle ore 12:11 Jan Rijkhoff <linjr at cc.au.dk> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> here is some more food for thought about relationships between major word
>> classes (both attached):
>>
>> - Rijkhoff, Jan. 2000 (reprint 2012). When can a language have
>> adjectives? An implicational
>> universal. In Petra M. Vogel and Bernard Comrie (eds.), Approaches to the
>> typology of word classes (Empirical Approaches to Language Typology [EALT]
>> 23), 217-258. Berlin and New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
>>
>> - Rijkhoff, Jan. 2003. When can a language have nouns and verbs? Acta
>> Linguistica Hafniensia 35, 7-38.
>>
>> Best, Jan R
>>
>> J. Rijkhoff - Associate Professor (emeritus), Linguistics

Paul Hopper and Sandra Thompson, 1984. “The discourse basis for lexical
categories in Universal Grammar.” *Language* 60,4:1984. (Cited over 1000
times, acc. to Google Scholar)

Paul J. Hopper, 1990. “The emergence of the category 'Proper Name' in
discourse.” In H. Davis and T. Taylor, eds., *Redefining Linguistics
,* 149-162.
London: Routledge.

Paul J. Hopper, 1996. “Discourse and the Construction of Categories.”
Berkeley Linguistic Society.

Paul J. Hopper, 1997. “Discourse and the category Verb in English.”*Language
and Communication. *17,2:1997, 93-102.

All available from <https://cmu.academia.edu/PaulHopper/Papers>

- Paul Hopper
--

Paul J. Hopper

Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Humanities

Department of English

Carnegie Mellon University

Pittsburgh PA 15213, USA