[Lingtyp] Praat script for automatically segmenting vowels?

Cat Butz Cat.Butz at hhu.de
Mon Apr 3 09:48:52 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much to everyone who has reached out so far. I'll check out
everything you've suggested.

Ian: I don't fully understand what you mean by marking the vowel center
vs. complete segmentation, so if it's ok, I'll just answer your
questions and see what you have to say afterwards. Thank you for taking
the time.

I'm working with continuous speech and currently have no fixed number of
tokens per vowel that I aim to collect (as many as possible, of course,
and what's possible depends on the resources I find). The vowel space of
Dalkalaen is extremely broad and diffuse and you will find instances of
pretty much every vowel the IPA has a symbol for and then some in a few
minutes of natural speech. Because of this, I'm having trouble
determining the number of phonemes, which is one of several reasons I
want to employ some statistics in coming up with a meaningful
description of the behaviour of vowels. So e.g. for starters, I'd like
to see whether the clustering in a formant plot of phonetic front vowels
will suggest two or three phonemic vowel qualities (or possibly four).
Eventually, I want to get to a point where I can describe as many as
possible of the factors conditioning phonetic variation of vowels;
coarticulation, morphosyntactic context, probability, etc.

So for now, it would save me a lot of work if a script could just
separate the vowels from everything else in the sound signal, so that I
could then just go through them, label them to several different degrees
of detail, and do some statistics and see what happens.

Best,
---
Cat Butz (she/they)
HHU Düsseldorf