[Lingtyp] Borrowability of prepositions

Ian Joo ian_joo at nucba.ac.jp
Fri Apr 7 15:19:07 UTC 2023

Deae Sergey,

In Sinosphere, consisting of Chinese and non-Chonese lects heavily influenced by Chinese, Korean and Japanese have borrowed a large share of their vocabulary from Chinese, but nearly no prepositions. Vietnamese, on the other hand, has extensively borrowed them, such as tại(<在 ‘at’), do (< 由 ‘due to’), như (<如 ‘as, like’). I think this is due to the fact that Vietnamese, like Chinese, is syntactically isolating, while Korean and Japanese are not.

Regards,
Ian