[Lingtyp] Borrowability of prepositions

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 08:22:31 UTC 2023

Dear Sergey,

As illustrated by Jesse, in general non-Tibetic languages of culturally
Tibetan areas tend to borrow postposition from Tibetan. Japhug has even
borrowed the ergative kɯ and the genitive *ɣɯ* from Amdo Tibetan, see
https://paperhive.org/documents/items/Q7EaSdGqQ2jb?a=s:99Ys7Esb1DG6
More generally, I think that you will find a lot of examples of this type
in this part of the world.

Guillaume

Le sam. 8 avr. 2023 à 06:40, Jesse P. Gates <stauskad at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi Sergey,
>
> I'm not sure if you are limiting yourself to prepositions or including all
> adpositions (like postpositions). Here is an example of a postposition
> being borrowed in Stau (Sino-Tibetan). This is from my PhD dissertation
> (Gates, Jesse P. 2021. *A grammar of Mazur Stau. *EHESS dissertation),
> page 235:
>
> The postposition *pærmæ* ‘middle, while’ is borrowed from the Tibetan
> བར་མ་barma (also borrowed into Geshiza, Honkasalo 2019: p. 339) examples of
> which can be seen in (207) and (208). The postposition *pærmæ* ‘middle,
> while’ can be used in a temporal sense in some limited contexts, as in
> (207), in which the context is the middle day between two days.
>

>  (207) tɕhəɡɛ thi                        pærmæ ætɕhə pi   tə-mdʑu=stɛ
>    zɑmɑ nɡə mə-ŋe-ɡə                     ŋə-rə
>            then   DEM.DIST.PREN middle   what   like PFV-hungry=also food
>  eat  NEG.IPFV-okay-IPFV COP-SENS
>
> Then in the middle (day) you still cannot eat no matter how hungry you are.
>

>    1.
>
>    (208) thiɣne pærmæ ɡɛ spənchɛr=ɣə vɮɛ=khæ ndjæ-ɡə ɟi-rə
>    2.
>
>             3DU middle LNK frog=ERG tongue=INSTR lick-IPFVEXIST.ANIM-SENS
>
>    The frog licks with his tongue in the middle of the two.
>

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 10:59 PM Sergey Loesov <sergeloesov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> My Neo-Babylonian corpus (an Akkadian variety of 8-7 centuries BC) has a
>> preposition *la *‘to(wards)’, obviously borrowed from the contemporary
>> Aramaic. Since Neo-Babylonian was an administrative language of the time,
>> while Aramaic had no official standing, the borrowing of a preposition
>> might look weird. What do we know about the ways prepositions are borrowed,
>> and in particular about linguistic situations that favour this kind of
>> borrowing? (Note that this was the time of Akkadian-Aramaic bilingualism in
>> Mesopotamia)
>>
>>  Thank you very much,
>>
>> Sergey

Guillaume Jacques