[Lingtyp] Indexes fossilizing

Vladimir Panov panovmeister at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 10:25:18 UTC 2023

Hello,

I might be mistaken but it seems that the inflectional present tense
paradigm of the Polish copula *być* is an example. It goes like this:

*jestem*
*jesteś*
*jest*
*jesteśmy*
*jesteście*
*są*

Except for the 3PL form, the rest of the forms are actually built on the
base of the common Slavic 3SG copula **jestь *with the endings derived from
clitic forms of the same copula. The 3SG form itself has remained unchanged
and is not morphologically analyzable any more in Polish.

Best,
Vladimir Panov
Vilnius University

*I condemn my native country's aggression in Ukraine*