[Lingtyp] R: Indexes fossilizing

Elisa Roma frisella at iol.it
Fri Dec 1 09:54:04 UTC 2023

Dear all,

besides reconstructed forms according to Watkins’ law, which gives forms
where the pronominal affixes have become part of some other affix or root
inflectional modification (such as transitive, past tense) a few examples
come to my mind where the affixes have become part of a specific lexical
root, such as in Italian aver-ci (to have+locative) mentioned by Nigel
Vincent and also entrar-ci (entrare+locative) ‘to enter in it’ > ‘to be
relevant for’, which in popular Italian has turned into a single lexeme
where the clitic does not move anymore (so the infinitive is c’entrare
-centrare rather than entrarci and has become homophonous with centrare ‘to
centre’).

These are some verbs in Old Irish, e.g.

at-baill ‘die’ (see eDIL headword https://dil.ie/search?q=at-bail*
<https://dil.ie/search?q=at-bail*&search_in=headword> &search_in=headword),
where -t- was originally a 3rd sg. Neuter object pronoun

In the history of Irish there are quite a few documented cases where the
object morpheme (so-called infix) has become part of the lexeme, e.g.

ad-cí ‘see’ has become at-chí, with again neuter object infix
(https://dil.ie/search?q=ad-ci
<https://dil.ie/search?q=ad-ci&search_in=headword> &search_in=headword,
McCone 1997: 172 ff., where other cases of frequent verbs, such as ‘say’,
are described)

Note that the first example is old, while the examples described by McCone
are later and belong to a period (Middle Irish) when the Neuter gender is
being lost.

Best,

Elisa

References

eDIL = eDIL 2019: An Electronic Dictionary of the Irish Language, based on
the Contributions to a Dictionary of the Irish Language (Dublin: Royal Irish
Academy, 1913-1976) ( <http://www.dil.ie> www.dil.ie 2019). [Accessed on
1-12-23].

McCone 1997  = Kim McCone, The Early Irish Verb. Maynooth, An Sagart 1997
[2nd edition, 1st edition 1987].

Elisa Roma

Associate professor of Linguistics

Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici