[Lingtyp] Fieldwork in Thailand

Ian Joo ian_joo at nucba.ac.jp
Sun Dec 10 10:49:55 UTC 2023

Dear fellow typologists,

I am interested in conducting fieldwork on a Malayic lect spoken in Southern Thailand, Urak Lawoi’ (urak1238).
However I was unable to find any up-to-date information on conducting linguistic fieldwork in Thailand, namely the legal requirements, anywhere on the internet.
If you have experience on conducting fieldwork in Thailand, I would like to ask:

Is it legally and ethically appropriate that I visit the field (Koh Sirey, Phuket Province, Thailand) as a tourist for a few days just to “probe” the field (on my own budget) and get in touch with the locals;
If I decide to arrange a formal fieldwork, other than the human subject ethics approval from my home institution (in Japan), what are the legal requirements I should go through with the local authorities (namely the type of visa I need).

I would appreciate any type of advice. I can read Thai to some level, so any source of information in Thai would also be helpful.

From Japan,
Ian

- - - - -
JOO, IAN 朱易安
Lecturer 助教
Faculty of International Studies 国際学部
Nagoya University of Commerce and Business 名古屋商科大学
Nisshin, Aichi, Japan 愛知県日進市
https://ianjoo.github.io
- - - - -