[Lingtyp] Free (=unexplained) morpheme ordering

Zingler, Tim Tim.Zingler at uibk.ac.at
Wed Dec 13 15:04:30 UTC 2023

Hi Jeremy,

I’m not sure if any of the sources below meet your requirement. From what I remember, most if not all of them point out that there are serious and identifiable restrictions on the order of the allegedly free items (and/or the process just affects a very limited number of affixes in the first place).

But I would like to highlight that the most remarkable part about the Mari/Uralic examples might be that they concern nouns. If I remember correctly, the sources below all talk about verbs. And that’s understandable because in order to have free ordering of affixes, you need at least two (types of) affixes, and nouns in so many languages do not meet that necessary criterion.

Also, there is a new edited volume on free variation in morphology and syntax that I haven’t gotten around to yet (Kopf & Weber 2023). The ToC does not suggest that there is anything immediately relevant to you in there, but I don’t know.

Lastly, I agree that it's difficult to define what an affix is. But fixed order is just one of the criteria used to determine that, as Haspelmath (2011) also discusses. If the other criteria argue for the affix status of an item, then it would be fine with me at least to call them affixes (and then pointing out the part where they diverge from the prototype). The term "mobile affix" suggested by one of the sources below is an example of that kind, I would think.

Best,

Tim

Cinque, Guglielmo. 2001. The status of “mobile” suffixes. In Bisang, Walter (ed.), Aspects of typology and universals, 13–19. Berlin: Akademie Verlag.

Crysmann, Berthold & Olivier Bonami. 2016. Variable morphotactics in information-based morphology. Journal of Linguistics 52(2). 311–374.

Good, Jeff & Alan Yu. 2000. Affix-placement variation in Turkish. Berkeley Linguistics Society (BLS) 25. 63–74.

Good, Jeff & Alan Yu. 2005. Morphosyntax of two Turkish subject pronominal paradigms. In Fernando Ordóñez & Lorie Heggie (eds.), Clitic and affix combinations: Theoretical perspectives, 315–341. Amsterdam: Benjamins.

Kim, Yuni. 2008. Topics in the phonology and morphology of San Francisco del Mar Huave. Berkeley: University of California PhD dissertation.

Kim, Yuni. 2010. Phonological and morphological conditions on affix ordering in Huave. Morphology 20(1). 133–163.

Kopf, Kristin & Thilo Weber (eds.). 2023. Free variation in grammar: Empirical and theoretical approaches. Amsterdam: Benjamins.

Mansfield, John, Sabine Stoll & Balthasar Bickel. 2020. Category clustering: A probabilistic bias in the morphology of verbal agreement marking. Language 96(2). 255–293.

Rice, Keren. 2011. Principles of affix ordering: An overview. Word Structure 4(2). 169–200.