[Lingtyp] Free (=unexplained) morpheme ordering

Vladimir Panov panovmeister at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 14:05:32 UTC 2023

Dear Jeremy & others,

Let me remind you of an important issue which has to do with the question
of this thread.

When we want to say that there are languages with affixes which exhibit a
degree of ordering freedom there is a tacit assumption that we know what it
means to be an affix. However, as Martin Haspelmath (2011 etc.,
https://www.eva.mpg.de/fileadmin/content_files/staff/haspelmt/pdf/WordSegmentation.pdf)
has argued, we atually don't and our ideas about "words", "affixes" and
"clitics" are very much inflenced by spelling conventions of modern
European languages (and it doesn't solve the problem). So why not take a
bottom-up approach and describe the morphemes in questions of Mari in their
own terms establishing their relevant morphosyntactic and phonological
properties instead of labeling them "affixes"? Otherwise, we should
acknowledge that "affixes" exist independently of particular languages as a
natural kind out there in a metaphysical space and are somehow
"instantiated" in Mari in a wrong (free-ordered) way. But if we do without
"affixes" (which are normally thought of as appearing in a fixed order)
then there is nothing surprising in their free orderedness any longer. The
formulation "languages with concatenative morphology" suffers from the same
kind of circularity - as if we knew where morphology ends and syntax begins.

I am also attaching my own paper which discusses very similar issues
regarding so-called "particles" whose main argument is completely parallel.

I know many don't share this view but I consider it my duty to raise this
argument again and again.

Best,
Vladimir