[Lingtyp] pain interjections

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 19:45:01 UTC 2023

Yahgan, a genetic isolate from Tierra del Fuego, whose last fluent speaker
passed recently, had a great number of interjections. While I'm not
familiar with all of them, there was at least one, with the shape vkka: (v
schwa, colon marks tenseness of the vowel preceding it, and stress on both
syllables (signified by doubled consonants as the generally convention),
which refers to 'great suffering'. I'm scanning the dictionary, and if I
find more I'll post them here.

Jess Tauber