[Lingtyp] Moods and non-finites?

Wiemer, Bjoern wiemerb at uni-mainz.de
Sat Jul 15 10:42:06 UTC 2023

Dear Jürgen,
just a short reply on the last point. If I understand you definition of “topic situation” here correctly (see repeated), and since you characterize subordinate clauses (with the mentioned exceptions) to not have their own topic situations, this is tantamount to saying that they lack independent illocutionary force. So, we are back to the start…

  *   Mood classifies utterances in terms of whether their ‘topic situation’ is (assumed to be) part of the interlocutors’ actual world (the speech situation and its past) or not (the speech situation’s future and counterfactual past situations). An utterance’s topic situation is the situation it makes a statement or promise, asks a question, issues a directive, etc., about.

Best,
Björn.